Saturday, July 17, 2010

Abby's 1st Birthday

Our favorite thing...the wagon!


Get me out!


Who did this to my finger?

I am exhausted!

Bundled up ready to go!

The sign that was hanging on our wall when we came back from a walk.

Abby's 1st birthday didn't start out so well. Once again we were awakened at 5:30 am by the lab coming to draw blood. Then of course she didn't want to go back to sleep, she just wanted to leave the hospital room. I distracted her for a while watching Mickey Mouse Club House and playing with toys in her crib, but that didn't last long so I had the nurse get a wagon for her and we started walking the halls of the hospital. I felt so bad that this was how we were going to spend her birthday. I had already planned for our families to come up to see her and we would have cake and ice cream there, but I was really hoping to be able to leave and have a party at home that I had already planned. After were came back from our walk, the resident came and took a look at her. I let her play in her crib for a minute while I was washing out some of her bottles and all of a sudden she started screaming and the poor things IV was stuck in the crib. Ever time she pulled it would get more stuck. Then she tried to sit down which only made it worse. I kept yelling for help and finally some one came, but she had already pulled her IV partly out. So the nurse just finished taking out the IV then told us some awful news... she told us that the resident had written in the chart that because she may have MRSA she would not be allowed to leave her room. I almost started crying. Wagon rides were our only saving grace. Abby was exhausted so I just cuddled her in my arms and she took a nice long nap. Stu arrived shortly after she had fallen asleep and went out and talked to the nurse to see if there were any updates. Thank goodness they had found out that she just had a staph infection. Since we could leave the room now we put Abby in the wagon and took her down to the cafeteria to see if we could get her to eat. Because she hadn't eaten in three days the doctor said if we could get her to eat some what normally for the next few hours we could take her home. She ate a pretty big meal. Yahoo! We were so excited. I left to go home and take a shower and Stu bundle Abby up in the wagon and they went for a walk to see if she would take another nap. When I got home Stu called and informed me that they had given us the okay to take Abby home. I hadn't been that excited in a long time. I was so sick of that place. I arrived there and Stu and Abbs were listening to the piano player on the third floor waiting for the discharge papers to all be done. Then we loaded everything up and went home! We got home around two, ran a few errands for Abby's Birthday party and the party guests showed up at 6:00 for Abby's party. So, there was a happy ending to the story. Abby is doing great now. She is happier than we have seen her in weeks. She is a whole new baby... skinnier too. It is so hard to see your child sick, hurting and in the hospital. I just wanted to take it all from her. We are so thankful for all your prayers and thank you Stu for the beautiful blessings you gave Abby. I am also so thankful for all the prayers that were answered while we were in the hospital.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Good happy ending. I'm so glad it's resolved and that she is doing better!! Hospital stays with your little ones are awful. :( Our tiny trip overnight with Colt last year was maybe the worst night of my life. I can't imagine going through what you did and staying so strong and positive! What an amazing mom.

Jessica said...

Wow - what a birthday. No fun for any of you! I'm so glad she's doing better and that you guys got to go home for her birthday. Hope we can see you next time we're in Utah!!

Patrice Pedersen said...

WOw, I am so sorry for what you guys have been through the last little bit. I'm so glad things are a lot better

Patrice Pedersen said...

Wow, I'm so sorry that you have had this crazy experience! I can't even imagine watching one of my little ones go through that! I'm so glad things are better!