Sunday, April 4, 2010

What a day!

(After the Epinephrine shot, her face still looks a little puffy)


(In real life the hives looked so much worse than they do in this picture)

Sunday March 28th was quite the day. This is how it played out... We didn't make it to our church because Abby was sick, I was not feeling well either and Abby decided to take a nap right during our church. Oh ya... And we woke up to a flooded storage room because the water heater was leaking. We made it to a later Sacrament meeting and right after that we ran over to a family friends home, the Meads, to have Garner, who is an ENT, look at Abby's ears to see if she had an ear infection. Of course, she had a double ear infection once again. He gave us a prescription for an antibiotic and told us to feed her a little yogurt along with it. So, we headed off the Rite Aid (the pharmacy that knows us way to well), and got the antibiotic. I figured while I was there I might as well pick up some yogurt... they didn't have any. So we stopped at Albertson's and picked some up. We got home gave Abby the antibiotic and fed her some Strawberry yogurt, which she loved. After she was finish I wiped her runny nose and she just started screaming. We figured it was because she hates having her nose wiped and because her nose was sore from being wiped so much. Mind you we are leaving for a family trip to California the next morning, so I sent Stu to the store to get some Boogie Wipes so that it wouldn't hurt so much when we wiped she nose that was a freakin' faucet. While Stu was gone Abby started sneezing and those of you that have children that have been sick you know what happens when a baby sneezes... Snot comes flying out. I couldn't wipe her nose fast enough, she just kept sneezing and sneezing and screaming, and sneezing. There was nothing I could do to calm her. When Stu got back I was outside trying to bounce her and he took one look at her and said her face is all red. I looked at her and it looked like she was having an allergic reaction. Then I checked her back to see if by any chance she had hives and her back was covered in hives. We jumped in the car and headed to the hospital. While we were on our way her face just continued to get redder and puffier. Her lips swelled and her breathing sounded labored. We arrived at IMC's ER and they took her right back to a room, hooked her up to monitor her and gave her a shot of Epinephrine. After the Epi shot her facial swelling and reddness fadded slightly. Then the tried to start and IV on her. I phlebotomist tried a couple times, I think the nurse tried, then they called Airmed to come and try. No luck, no one could get an IV in her because she is so chubby. Abby did enjoy the Airmed dude though. There she is on the huge stretcher in her diaper and onsies half off flirting with the Airmed guy. She was lying on her back doing this can, can motion with her leg and she smiling and staring at him. It was hilarious. Everyone in the room was just laughing. We all needed a laugh at that moment. They never did get an IV in her and the Epinephrine was starting to wear off so the doctor decided to give her the Benadryl and steroid orally. Abby liked the Benadryl, but not so much the steroid. Aunt Emily came to see her and to comfort her scared Mommy and Daddy. Abby loved seeing Aunt Emmy and all the toys she had in her purse. Especially the talking chipmunks (that you can see in the picture). After about ten minutes Abby totally threw up. So we had to try the drugs again. This time thank goodness she kept them down because her hives had gotten a lot worse. They kept us there for a few more hours just to monitor her. By the time we left, about 9:00 pm the hives were still awful but better and she was out cold. They told us to give her a Benadryl every six hours, so on the way home we stopped at Rite Aid and picked up another antibiotic (just in case it was the penicillin she was allergic to), an Epipen, and more steroid, just in case she happened to have another allergic reaction on the plane the next day, and some Benadryl. We got home put her to bed and STARTED packing. Right when we thought the day couldn't get much worse I went to make a phone call and I couldn't find my cell phone (that I just got for Christmas). I check everywhere. I called the ER because the only place I could think of that I might of left it was there on the stretcher. They couldn't find it. Stu left me at home to pack and he went and retraced my steps... no luck. I called IMC's lost and found and they said they would look for it, but they never found it. Stu and I were still packing when we gave Abby her 1:00 am dose of Benadryl. She looked awful. She was really pale and her eyes were dark grayish, purple. We were really worried about her so Stu set his alarm to get up and check on her a few hours later. Then Abby woke up about 7:45 and we finished getting ready to leave, Right as we were going to walk out the door on our way to the airport Abby throws up down the front of her. We were already running a little behind, so I grabbed a shirt Abby had never worn before put it on and ran out the door. Well, the shirt was a belly shirt on her. Oh well! We made it to the plane on time. This story does have a happy ending. My Dad has worked for IHC for I don't know how long and he happens to know the man over linen services. He gave him a call and asked him to look out for my phone just in case it comes in the linens from IMC. My dad got a call a few days later while we were all in California and they found my phone. YAHOO! Abby is doing great! We still don't know if she is allergic to Strawberries or Penicillin.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

How scary! I am glad she is ok! Garner is my second cousin by the way...small world!

Becky said...

What a nightmare. That is awful, SO awful. I'm really glad it turned out okay. My little sis is allergic to penicillin...

Nicole said...

That is awful Jane! I am so sorry. I'm glad she is ok and hopefully you can figure out what she's allergic to!

Brooke said...

I know how you feel! Hallie's allergic to nuts, It's the worst feeling to see your child breaking out in hives and getting all red! We've had to get all our kids tested and she's been the only one so far! I'm so glad everything turned out ok, hopefully you can find out what it is soon!

The Calder's said...

Scary! You are so on top of it!! It always happens when you are on vacation or in a hurry!!! ha Glad she is doing better!!